Improving Face Recognition
Prof. Chengjun Liu´s research in facial recognition is supported by the Department of Defense.
A new technology that can verify a person´s identity using facial images is the goal of research by Chengjun Liu, assistant professor of computer science. He has developed a face recognition system that improves on previous technology by taking into account such factors as lighting and facial expressions. The system has tested 100 percent effective in matching videotaped images to those stored in government databases by comparing 62 features or facial landmarks. Liu recently received funding from the Department of Defense to support his research as part of the government´s effort for combating terrorism using face recognition technologies.
- Computer Vision
- Pattern Recognition and Applications
- Face Recognition and Video Processing
- Image Processing
- Computer Programming and Problem Solving
Pattern Recognition (Face/Iris Recognition)
Machine Learning (Statistical Learning, Kernel Methods, Similarity Measures)
Computer Vision (Object/Face Detection, Video Processing)
Image Processing (New Color Spaces, Gabor Image Representation)
C. Liu: "Face Detection Method and Apparatus", United States Patent 7,162,076, January 9, 2007.
C. Liu and H. Wechsler: "Feature Based Classification", United States Patent 6,826,300, November 30, 2004.
- "The Bayes Decision Rule Induced Similarity Measures", PAMI, 2007.
- "Capitalize on Dimensionality Increasing Techniques for Improving Face Recognition Grand Challenge Performance", PAMI, 2006.
- "Gabor-based Kernel PCA with Fractional Power Polynomial Models for Face Recognition", PAMI, 2004.
- "A Bayesian Discriminating Features Method for Face Detection", PAMI, 2003.
- "Evolutionary Pursuit and Its Application to Face Recognition", PAMI, 2000.