Dr. James Geller is Professor and Chair Emeritus of the Computer Science Department at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He currently serves as Associate Dean for Research of the College of Computing Sciences at NJIT. He received his PhD from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1988 in Computer Science, with a focus on AI/Knowledge Representation.
Dr. Geller cofounded SABOC (the Structural Analysis of Biomedical Ontologies Center) at CS/NJIT and founded the Semantic Web Laboratory at the Computer Science Department of NJIT. He has published over 155 journal and conference papers and 12 book chapters in Medical Informatics, Semantic Web Technology, Object-Oriented Database Modeling, Knowledge Representation, etc.
Between 2006 and 2012 Dr. Geller was Co-Principal Investigator on several federal grants, totaling over $2,500,000, on auditing methods, abstraction algorithms and software tools for important medical terminology systems such as the Unified Medical Language System (UMLS) and the Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine – Clinical Terms (SNOMED CT). He is currently investigator on an NSF grant for teaching Cyber Security (iSECURE).
In 2012 Dr. Geller was inducted as a Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI).
Dr. Geller received the NJIT Master Teacher Designation (2005) and three other NJIT teaching awards in 2002, 2003 and 2011.
- Technical University of Vienna, Diploma Ing., 1979.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, M.S., 1984.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, Ph.D., 1988.
Awards and Honors
- Received the 2002/2003 NJIT Teaching Award in Graduate Teaching.
- Received the 2003 (first ever) College of Computing Sciences Teaching Award.
- Received the Master Teacher Award (in Fall 2005).
- NJIT College Research Award (2010).
- Teaching Award of NJIT for "Professional Development in Teaching," September 14th, 2011.
- Fellow of the American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) (2012).
Anybody interested in my publications can find them by looking at both:
(Search for papers by Geller J, Perl Y and for papers by Geller J, He Z and for papers by Geller J, Lee Y)